Monday, January 2, 2012

Writing a Blog

Culture and writers groups suggest that keeping a blog is essential in order to succeed in the jungle of publishing and having a platform for your book. I rebel, I struggle. I don't write for the public. I write for myself and to a few excellent friends.
I abhor what Facebook and Twitter are doing to communication and the image of friends or potential friends who have become addicted to them, has eroded my good feelings towards them, because I have seen aspects of their lives that I had not seen before those quick-feeling and vastly-exposing communication media.
I see others who manage to stay discreet and interesting, but they only show the best of themselves or their intellectual faculties, as if they were public saints with no flaws.
And here I am, compelled to write a blog about myself, without wanting to talk about myself. Nor wanting to be fast and superficial. Nor secretly wishing to deceive by filtering information as if I only had brilliant things to say.
The complexity and depth of life are too rich, too precious. I succeed and fail everyday, several times a day. I exercise too little, I read too randomly, I don't clean my house as I wish/should, I don't engage in the final draft of my book, I allow the TV to be on too long, I don't write those long letters I need to write, I don't post anything new in this blog... I do good things too, but those are mainly for my own integrity and the people and kittens who live with me, and those friends who devotedly stay in touch with me somehow.
A new beginning, so public, so exposed. A commitment to share, to test, to fail or accomplish.
Thinking of you, always.

11 comments:

  1. Have courage, my friend, and persevere... You are an inspiration to me, and you continue to inspire me through your writing, as in these first words of your blog... You have a devout follower and fan in me... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. So good to know you are there. Happy & Light New Year!!! And I hope to see you soon. The singing evening GOES, at the end of the month, RAIN OR SHINE!!!!!! :-)
    I love you, Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogosphere and Happy New Year! Thank you for shining a light in the dark void of cyberspace with your brilliant prose.

    Totally agree with you about Facebook. I find it annoying and a waste of time.

    Keep on blogging!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Aurora,
    I'd encourage you not to write a blog because you have to, but to write because you want to. You can adopt any writing style you like in a blog. Heck, you could even write a book there if you wished.
    I'm of the same generation as you, and for me, I blog sporadically, sometimes waiting a month or two until a thought builds up and matures before I put pen to virtual paper. There is nothing wrong with focusing on quality over quantity writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Aurora, I am so happy you are embarking on a blog adventure (I envy you because I wish I had done the same!) I was just thinking today about the changes in life after spending time in Texas with my good friend fighting cancer. I pray every night she defeats this invasion (for many years she has been a shining light in my life and I see even when facing death she still shines!) (and her daughter is very brave sitting next to her!) Whatever happens we all have to live for today and the promise of tomorrow, even if those tomorrows are few.
    Best! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, why do you keep a blog and what has been your experience by doing so? Could you write something about it so I can post it in my blog?
    Thank you, and I will ask for your expertise n the matter sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cameron, thank you! I remember reading your blog years ago and getting very inspired by your thoughts and experiences. I have to say this first day of blogging has been quite interesting. And I will surely follow your advice. Cameron, why do you blog and to what extent is your blogging different from your day to day communication with friends and family? Or how does it enrich your life?
    Big hug from here to French Forest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candies :-), thank you for your insight. I would like to ask you: how does your friend shine? And how does your sharing time with her change your life?
    Love to you and see you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonjour Aurore;

    Facebook writing: Not everyone is as gifted as you .I am not a fan of Facebook but must for business purpose be there. I will follow your blog...as you rarely answer your phone:) at least I will get some news about you. By the way: the bracelet you made was a hit!! pursue this!

    Happy New year 2012.

    Pierrick
    Pierrick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merci, Pierrick! Je voudrais bien avoir un post sur toi, tes aventures comme chocolatier. Je t'appelle demain (j'ai essayé hier quand j'ai trouvé ton message au portable mais sans succès.
    Bises!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aurora, good luck with your writing and process writing in general. You're gifted at it and you have plenty to share and communicate. All my encouragements and support to you. Je t'embrasse bien fort, Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete